Top tips on how to care for your face mask
Photo credit: Pinterest
Wearing a face mask in public sure does help prevent the spread of COVID-19 but only if worn properly. We have curated some useful mask-wearing tips that will maximise protection for yourself and others.
When is it safe to take my mask off?
We recommend to keep your face mask on until you have finished your journey, errand or work shift. It's safe to remove your mask outside once you are away from others or in your car on your way home. Don’t forget to take your mask inside if you need to wash it. All our UNCU London masks come with a protective pouch to keep the bacteria at bay. Keep it in the pouch after each wear and carry it with you in your pocket or handbag. You can get your hands on our gorgeous black satin travel pouch by simply purchasing any UNCU London face mask online.
The best way to keep safe? Keep reading.
How should apply and remove my face mask?
- Don’t get it twisted.
- Avoid touching your face and use hand sanitiser when you’re out.
- Wash your hands before and after touching your mask.
- Carefully remove your mask by grasping the ear loops. For masks with a pair of ties, unfasten the bottom ties first then the top ones.
- If your mask has a filter pocket, remove the filter and throw it in the bin.
- Change filters every 1 to 2 uses.
- Fold the mask and put it directly in a warm wash at 30°C. (make sure to check what material your mask is made of before you wash it at a high temperature)
- Clean your hands again.
How many face masks should I buy?
It’s a good idea to have at least two masks. This way, you will have a fresh mask if one is in the wash. If you are feeling extra stylish, keep one for weekdays and one for the weekend! (we love the must have weekend accessory - 'Sequin Faced')
Think about your daily schedule and your lifestyle. If you like a clean mask whenever you go out where maintaining consistent physical distancing (at least 6 feet away from others) might be a challenge, including:
- A trip to your local supermarket.
- A ride on public transportation.
- A visit to your doctor.
- Close interactions with others while you’re on the job, if you are an essential employee.
How do I clean my face mask?
You should wash your mask every 1-2 uses and store it in a clean environment when not in use. Our handy pouch helps to keep spot-causing bacteria at bay and is the best way to stay clean during the current crisis.
Did you know that air pollution is a major contributor to skin and respiratory problems? This is especially acute when travelling. Our face masks have a panel for filters, so you can enjoy all the perks of city life without paying the price (well… except for pints/cocktails, they'll still cost you…)
Different types of face masks and cleaning instructions:
- Home made face scarves, bandanas and masks made of fabric, such as cotton, can be washed in a normal wash using hot water. (always check with the shop or website you got it from just in case!)
- Disposable, blue surgical masks cannot be washed or cleaned and should be thrown away when it is visibly soiled or damaged.
- After washing your fabric masks, tumble dry them in the dryer on a high setting.
- You might consider using a non-scented fabric softener if you are sensitive to perfumes so it is easier to wear the masks.
- You can also hand wash your mask, using hot and soapy water. Scrub the mask for at least 20 seconds, and dry it on high heat in the dryer.
- Store clean masks in a clean place when you are not using them.
How to wash your UNCU London Face Mask?
- Wash our cotton and silk masks on a 30°C delicate wash.
- Dip & Soak hand wash our handmade masks, such as our Sequin Face Mask.
- Do Not Bleach
- Do Not Dry Clean
- Do Not Iron
- Do Not Tumble Dry
Exclusive Protective Pouch for your Face Mask
You wouldn’t wipe your face with the bottom of your handbag or the inside of your pocket - but you might as well if you keep your face mask in unsuitable places. All our masks come with a protective pouch to keep them clean until the next use (although we’d recommend washing after every public use, if possible).
We hope these tips have helped you and provided you with some useful guidance on how to look after your mask and keep your mask safe at all times.
Feel free to drop us a message on Chat or Email if you have any questions.
Stay Safe and (always) Stay Stylish!